Did you know the POS is not just a point of sale? It can do a lot more…..read on to know more
Very simply put, a restaurant POS system is the point of sale for a business. The physical space in which the billing transaction occurs is considered as the POS. This system has been in use by businesses big and small from ages and has hence undergone a lot of technological alterations. These changes in the modern cloud-based POS systems makes sales more convenient for the present day businesses.
- Traditional vs modern-day restaurant POS system
The primary difference between a traditional and a modern-day POS is in its structure and portability. The difficulty of integration with third party software was a drawback of the traditional POS which has been overcome by the modern POS system.
This has added to the ease of scalability for the businesses. One does not have to manually update anything in the system and worry about loss of data with the cloud POS. Added to this the portable size and sleek design of the system makes it an appealing addition to the interior of the business, which in our case here is a restaurant. In short, unlike the traditional system the present day POS systems are more comprehensive and add speed and accuracy to the restaurant business. On the basis on this, restaurant POS systems can be broadly categorized as:
- Traditional POS – which only fulfills the basic purpose of billing and thus being a point of sale only
- Cloud Server POS – this type can be used on any device and allows maximum portability. It can be operated on devices which are browser based, on mobile phones, on touch screens as well as on desktops.
- Local Server POS – This POS works on a desktop but specifically offline
- Selecting a restaurant POS system
The addition of the latest POS system in your restaurant is one of the best things you can give to your restaurant that will not only enhance customer experience but also bring you a remarkable boost in sales and ROI. All you need to do is know how to select the most suitable POS system for your restaurant business. Here is a checklist that can help you decide the appropriate POS system for your restaurant. Make sure that the POS system gives you the following facilities:
- Data Accessibility
- Billing solutions
- Ease of Data Integration from different platforms such as accounting, payment options, online ordering, etc.
- Inventory management
- Loyalty programs
Gleeca, is a free restaurant management system that gives you the best POS system for your restaurant. You can rest assured to enjoy state-of-the-art security, speed and seamless integration with Gleeca and everything at zero cost.
However, before you invest in an appropriate POS system for your restaurant it is important you know the advantages it provides you.
- Keeps your data secure – this is one of the key benefits that a restaurant owner can enjoy with a POS system. A restaurant has to deal with a lot of data throughout the day and each day, managing such high volumes of data is a difficult task. With an appropriate POS system, the fear of losing data is gone. All data is encrypted and stored in the cloud ensuring protection against loss or breach of data. With the POS system that Gleeca provides, you will be able to assign the usage to specific roles; that is your accountant will be able to access a certain amount of data while your service staff will get access only that which concerns them. Everyone will not get access to all available. As the admin only you will have the access to the entire stored data.
- Enables real – time changes – unlike the traditional POS systems where only billing was possible, the modern day cloud based POS systems give the added benefit of making changes. Customers may want to make alterations in their orders at any time, either add or remove items. A good POS system will be able to make these changes seamlessly. As restaurateur you will also want to make changes in the menu from time to time; this will also be possible if you have an efficient POS system.
- Adds speed to your operations – the billing process has often been a cause of customer dissatisfaction; they complain of the process being slow, or there may be issues with cash and changes. The fact that a POS system enables remote accessibility of data further prevents delay of such operations. A good POS system will bring speed into the operations. This has two direct positive effects on your restaurant business:
- reduces the wait-time considerably
- enhances customer experience
- Automates operations with accurate reports – the modern day POS system is capable of producing precise reports. This is a great way to monitor your restaurant’s progress and make the necessary changes for betterment. You can also check the reports to understand the impact of the loyalty programs, offers and discounts you had implemented. The real-time reports aid in continuous improvement and device new strategies to meet the visions of your restaurant.
- Manages inventory – the inventory is an important area of a restaurant that needs close monitoring and management. a POS system provides hassle-free management of the inventory informing the owner which resources are missing or the ones which refilling. This is a great way of cutting down on wastage and contributing towards sustainability.
- Manages restaurant reservations – because a POS can build a map for your restaurant floor, it facilitates online reservations which helps in managing the floor traffic at your restaurant. this again in helpful in providing a good experience to the customers.
- Manages payment options– some POS system also allows you to integrate your takeaway service into it. This furthers the process of providing a comprehensive restaurant experience as the customer gets another channel for easy and quick payment. As a restaurateur, you could consider putting up the takeaway kiosks, where a customer can make his own payments, and you can have one less employee to pay. You will be able to integrate credit and debit card payments, wallets, UPIs as well as cash payment options.
- Manages staff– if you have a modern day efficient POS you will also be able manage the ‘punch-in’ and ‘punch-out’ time of your employees. This keeps confusions out of your restaurant when it comes to roster scheduling.
- Manages errors – the automation of things reduces the chances of errors that are likely to be made in terms of handwritten orders or inventory management. The close and constant monitoring capacity of the POS aids in prevention against theft, which is very common when it comes to inventory.
- Manages loyalty programs leading to customer retention – one of the easiest customer retention techniques are the loyalty programs. A POS gives insights into the customer transactions thereby helping in getting an idea of what can be the best offers for those customers. Getting customized discounts and loyalty programs always simulates customer retention.
While it is true that the POS system is an extremely helpful tool in enhancing your restaurant ROI and customer retention; it does not come without its challenges. However, since we have already established the immense assistance it provides, we will have to know how to overcome those challenges. So, let’s begin by knowing them first.
- Challenges of a restaurant POS system
Being a combination of hardware and software, the POS system does not come without its challenges and difficulties. Let us take a look at some of the most common challenges faced by restaurants in handling a POS system:
- Insecurity – As already emphasized, the modern day POS systems help greatly in maintaining the security of acquired and stored data. It is hence a problem when the system fails to provide such security. There can be security breaches through lack of encryption; this is a particular problem with the older models of the POS systems. The lack of PCI compliance by any organization is good news for all hackers. Installing a separate Wi-Fi network for the customers is a solution to protecting the data of on your POS. When it comes to security, no POS system other than Gleeca can give you a top-class protection. The knowledge of the team in cybersecurity is an added advantage of the makers of this free restaurant management system in providing the best and secure POS for your restaurant.
- Disturbed operations – the perfect working of a POS system is dependent on a few things mentioned below:
- Internet – every POS is dependent on the internet for functioning. Even the slightest wonky network could create problems in the proper functioning of the POS. It is hence advised that a backup internet connection is always kept at hand for emergency situations.
- Electricity – power outages are a common problem for the smooth working of a POS. The power outlets and ports on the system should be checked regularly and carefully to make sure there are no leakages anywhere. At times, one may also need to reset the system incase, every power socket has been checked and no problem found in them. A generator or an invertor could be helpful in managing the power supply to the POS system efficiently.
- Hardware malfunction – There is always a possibility of failure of the POS hardware. Proper maintenance is the key to avoid such problems. Having a backup is necessary to ensure the continued working of the POS. However, your POS provider must be able to help you proactively in scenarios such as this. Just like Gleeca, where you will get all assistance promptly, as soon as you raise a ticket. The basic components of a POS are good enough to carry out fast billings and other functionalities, thereby reducing the complications of the hardware. Some of the common problems experienced include:
- Jammed cash drawer
- Kitchen printer not working
- Receipt printer is printing blank receipts
- Difficulties in entering descriptions in the fields in the software
- The lid of the paper roll on the printer does not close after reloading paper
- Untrained staff– when using a POS system, your restaurant staff should have the knowledge of how to use it effectively and efficiently. A lack of understanding on their part could lead to the obstruction in the operations. This is another common issue with most POS systems except for Gleeca, where the operations are so simple that anyone can operate without any problem.
The POS system is certainly a very helpful addition to a restaurant business, there is no doubt to the kind of speed it adds to the operations. However, it is very important that the system be handled with utmost care and knowledge while simultaneously ensuring that you have purchased the appropriate POS for your restaurant. So sign up with Gleeca and enjoy the benefits of a smooth and hassle POS system.
Visit – www.gleeca.in